Amusement Park / Lunapark, 2000

A minimalist film. Behind a wall, somebody is playing badminton at dusk.

Frequently, photographers or video artists record present events. For instance, one of my video films shows a badminton racket that keeps popping up and vanishing behind a wall. Its position is different every time. We can’t see the players but we can tell that the match is very dynamic. There are a caravan and other attributes of a traveling funfair in the background. It was an existing situation, non-arranged, recorded on magnetic tape, an event that I “came across.”
Łukasz Skąpski, Seria i typologia jako metoda w sztuce, PhD dissertation, 2005

I bought my first video camera in Finland, with the money I received for IFTHAT project, in 2000. I soon began to record various things, odd things, such as that wall that stood on the way to the funfair.
Łukasz Skąpski talking to Ewa Łączyńska and Marta Lisok, June 2006, typescript

Bibliography
Łukasz Skąpski, Seria i typologia jako metoda w sztuce, PhD dissertation, Academy of Fine Arts in Poznan, 2005
Łukasz Skąpski talking to Ewa Łączyńska and Marta Lisok, June 2006, typescript

No comments: